Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Central Asia's pot - and a lesson on stereotypes

One of the best aspects of traveling abroad is the possibility of overcoming prejudices and stereotypes through a first hand contact with the places and people along the way; of being surprised by how the world is richer and more complex than previously expected. I was surprised, for instance, to know that the cap on the head of my driver-cum-guide-cum-travel companion in Kyrgyzstan wasn’t a kippah, but a taqiyah. I guess I was not expecting a blond, blue-eyed, Russian-named guy in Kyrgyzstan to be a Muslim, just because I’d never seen one before. It shows not only my ignorance but also the melting pot that is Central Asia.

Well, not exactly a melting pot, but a pot where many races live more or less side by side within the same borders, and not always in great harmony. Ethnic Kazakhs make up only half of the population of Kazakhstan, as do ethnic Kyrgyz in Kyrgyzstan. Although ethnic Tajiks are registed as Uzbeks in Uzbekistan, some claim that the first outnumber the latter in the country. Ethnic Russians can be found in all countries, especially in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. Tajiks living outside Tajikistan outnumber those living in the country. In Uzbekistan, Turkmen, German, Ukrainian, Korean, Tatar, Uighur add to the mix. It’s a festival of faces and features that rival the different landscapes found in the region.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even abroad you still like to dress up? I thought it was only at home.

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully written! Loved your travel notes. You take us with you (which is great if you don't have money to spare;-)I was wondering why you didn't write a travel guide or even a book!? I would be your reader, for sure! xoxoxo Leilinha

Rodrigo said...

Glad u liked. Hope I interested u in visiting the place.

Márcia W. said...

Rodrigo
Olá, greetings from the Swamp aka The Netherlands.

Foi legal te conhecer, ficamos em contato.
Abraços pedalados,